Looking for things to do on the 4th of July? We’ve got you covered…..
• National Harbor, Gaylord National Resort, National Harbor, Maryland. Fireworks and summer festival, beginning at 5 p.m., tickets are required.
• Gaithersburg, Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut Street, Gaithersburg, Maryland. (301) 258-6350. Gates open at 5 p.m. Walk-in at Chestnut or Dalamar Streets; the Perry Parkway entrance will be closed. Entertainment at 7 p.m. Fireworks at dusk.
• Rockville, Montgomery College, Rockville Campus, 51 Mannakee Street, Rockville, Maryland. Additional parking will be available at Rockville Town Center. Live entertainment begins at 7 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• Boyds/Germantown, Germantown Soccerplex, 18041 Central Park Circle, Boyds, Maryland. (240) 777-6820. Patriotic concert at 7 p.m. and fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• Poolesville, Poolesville Polo Grounds, 14660 Hughes Rd., Poolesville, Maryland. Live music begins at 6 p.m., Fireworks at 9 p.m. Parking is $5 per vehicle. (301) 972-8888.
• Kensington/Wheaton Albert Einstein High School, 11135 Newport Road, Kensington, Maryland. Entertainment begins at 7:30 p.m. and fireworks show will begin approximately 9:15 p.m.
• Takoma Park Takoma Park Middle School, 7611 Piney Branch Road, Takoma Park, Maryland. (301) 270-6876. Parade at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Carroll and Ethan Allen Avenues. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• College Park University of Maryland, College Park. Parking Lot 1, off Campus Drive near the University Boulevard/Adelphi Road entrance. (301) 864-8877. Food and music start at 7 p.m., with fireworks around 9 p.m.
• Six Flags America, Mitchellville, Maryland. (301) 249-1500. The amusement park sponsors a spectacular fireworks display. Enjoy a full day of family entertainment.
• Bowie Allen Pond Park, Bowie, Maryland. (301) 809-3078. Entertainment, food and fireworks from 3-10:30 pm.
• Bowie Prince George’s County Stadium, 4101 NE Crain Hwy, Bowie, Maryland. Fireworks display after the game. For additional information and tickets, call (301) 464-4865.
• Greenbelt Buddy Attick Park, 555 Crescent Rd., Greenbelt, Maryland. (301) 397-2200. Entertainment begins at 4 p.m. Fireworks at dusk.
• Laurel Granville Gude Park, Laurel Lake, Laurel, Maryland. (301) 725-5300 ext. 44. Parade at 11 a.m. Car show following and Fireworks at dusk.
• Fort Meade Routes 175 (Annapolis Road) and Reece Road, Fort Meade, Maryland. Celebration from noon to 10:30 p.m. Free admission – Open to the public. DJ, Band, Food/beverage vendors, Novelty vendors, Karate> demonstration and fireworks.
• Frederick, Baker Park, Second and Bentz Streets, Frederick, Maryland. (301) 228-2844. Music on four stages, fireworks and much more.
• Columbia, Lake Kittamaquandi, 10221 Wincopin Circle Columbia, Maryland. (410) 740-4545. Music, children’s entertainment begins at 5 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• Annapolis, Annapolis City Dock, Annapolis, Maryland. (410) 263-1183. Parade and fireworks: Parade starts at 6 p.m. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m. Parade Route: West Street, around Church Circle, down Main Street to the City Dock. Naval Academy’s Concert Band will perform at the end of City Dock just prior to the fireworks.
• Baltimore, Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland. A variety of concerts and special event
Washington, DC’s Independence Day Parade
Parade Start Time: 11:45 a.m.
Parade Route: Constitution Avenue and 7th to 17th Sts.
See a map of the parade route
Washington, DC’s 4th of July Parade features marching bands, military and specialty units, floats, and VIP’s. The parade draws a large crowd, so plan to arrive early to stake out a good viewing spot. Read more about the National Independence Day Parade
Smithsonian Folklife Festival
The annual event includes daily and evening music and dance performances, crafts and cooking demonstrations, storytelling and discussions of cultural issues. The themes of the 2010 program will be: México Profundo: A Deeper Mexico, Asian Pacific American Connections and Smithsonian Inside Out. The hours on the 4th of July are 11 a.m to 5 p.m. Read more about the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.
4th of July at the National Archives
The National Archives celebrates the 4th of July with special family programming celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Visit the National Archives Building for this special birthday party from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. See the schedule of events.
White House Visitor Center Family Events
Between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., stop at the White House Visitor Center and enjoy games, crafts and other activities celebrating America’s Birthday. National Park Service rangers and volunteers will give you the opportunity to sample the sights, sounds, activities and personages that helped finalize the Declaration of Independence and create the United States of America on July 4, 1776.
4th of July Fireworks on the National Mall
Fireworks Time: At dark, usually around 9:15 p.m. Rain Date: July 5th
Launch Location: The fireworks are launched from the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool and light up the sky over the Washington Monument
• Falls Church, George Mason High School, 7124 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia. Live music will start at 7 p.m. followed by fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• Fairfax, July 3, (rain date – fireworks only July 4) Fairfax City, Independence Day Parade through the downtown area beginning at 10 a.m. Musical entertainment begins at 7 p.m. at Fairfax High School with a spectacular fireworks display at dark. (703) 385-7858.
• McLean, Langley High School, 6520 Georgetown Pike McLean, Virginia. (703) 790-0123. Music performances, food, games, and activities for kids. Grounds open at 6 p.m. Fireworks at dark.
• Vienna, Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry Street Southeast, Vienna, Virginia. Arts and crafts, food, live music, vendors, and games. Celebrations start at 11 a.m. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m. at Southside Park on Ross Dr.
• Herndon, Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave. Herndon, Virginia. (703) 787-7300. Rides open at 5 p.m. Music, crafts, bingo, games at 6:30 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• Reston, Lake Fairfax Park, 1400 Lake Fairfax Dr., Reston, Virginia. (703) 471-5415. Fireworks begin around 9:15 p.m.
• Leesburg, Ida Lee Park, Rt. 15 (King Street) and Ida Lee Drive, Leesburg, Virginia. (703) 777-1368. Gates open at 6 p.m. Fireworks around 9:30 p.m.
• Manassas 9431 West Street, Manassas, Virginia. (703) 335-8872. Enjoy live music, children’s activities, food and fireworks. Entertainment begins at 4 p.m. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m.
• King’s Dominion, 16000 Theme Park Way, Doswell, Virginia. Independence Day celebrations and fireworks.
• Alexandria, Oronoco Bay Park, 100 Madison St., Alexandria, Virginia. Celebrate Alexandria’s Birthday & the USA’s on Saturday, July 10, 2010, 4-10 p.m. Enjoy a concert by the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra at 9 and fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
(Photo: Courtesy The White House / Getty Images)