WPGC Raises $61K for Children’s National Medical Center
The first annual WPGC Radiothon, benefiting sick and injured kids in the Washington area, was a huge success.
Pablo & Free, Flexx, DJ Heat, Sunni, Mr. Peter Parker and Herkules worked the mic and phones from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday to raise $61,364 for Children’s National Medical Center.
To donate, click here or the big button below.
About Children’s National Medical Center
Children’s National Medical Center is the only exclusive provider of pediatric care in the metropolitan Washington area and is the only freestanding children’s hospital between Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Norfolk, and Atlanta. Serving the nation’s children for more than 140 years, Children’s National is a proven leader in the development and application of innovative new treatments for childhood illness and injury. MORE
ABOUT THE KIDS
Tess & Alexander – Cerebral Palsy
Tess was diagnosed at age 2 with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Alexander was diagnosed at age 3 with hypotonic cerebral palsy. Both have undergone treatments to increase mobility, as well as ongoing physical and occupational therapy at Children’s National Medical Center. Today, Alexander is a Cub Scout and honor roll student, and is learning to play the piano. Tess is an honor roll student and a determined Brownie Scout.
Olivia – Cardiomyopathy
At six months old, doctors found Olivia had an enlarged heart. She was immediately transported via helicopter to Children’s National Medical Center where she was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. The family spent more than 100 days at Children’s National while Olivia awaited a heart transplant. Nicknamed the “Princess of Cardiac Intensive Care Unit” by the nurses, Olivia received her heart transplant in 2005 and is flourishing.
Jessica – Spina Bifida
Jessica has been to Children’s National Medical Center since birth. When she was 3, doctors suggested her parents put her in martial arts or ballet to help her with her balance, as well as her coordination. “When Jessica first started martial arts, she would fall when she ran or did her kicks,” her mom said. “Now ten years old, Jessica can run, kick, and skip. Recently, she tested and received her blue belt in Kung Fu. She accomplished this feat exactly one year from when doctors operated on her.
Jaiwen – Osteosarcoma
In October 2010, Jaiwen came home limping from soccer practice. The doctors discovered an abnormality in his leg, which was later diagnosed as Osteosarcoma, bone cancer. Doctors at Children’s National Medical Center removed part of Jaiwen’s femur after he went through 10 weeks of chemotherapy and gave him a prosthesis for the missing bone section, which will expand as his leg grows. Today Jaiwen is in remission.
Daisy – Leukemia
Daisy was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2004. She started treatment and spent that Christmas in the hospital for her first round of chemotherapy. It was a frightening time, but the staff at Children’s National Medical Center helped to make it her family’s home away from home. As Daisy grew stronger, she became an unofficial ambassador for the oncology floor. Daisy is now cancer free.
- Birthday Bash 2013 - Gallery... Birthday Bash 2013 - Gallery... WPGC's Bay Bridge Toll... Bunker Sports Cafe!! 5.17.13
- Cafe Asia Saturdays!! 5.11.13 Arsenio Hall Meet and Greet... Cafe Asia Saturdays!!! Cafe Asia Saturdays!!
- A$AP Rocky Meet & Greet!! Shaq Attack Release Party @... The Howard Theater's 2nd... Cafe Asia Saturday's!! 4.20.13
- Broccoli Fest 2013!! Operation Pretty &... Set the World on Fire Tour Bunker Sports Cafe 4.12.13!!
- Chance to win @Drake tickets for his show with @MiguelUnlimited and @1future in October is right around the corner! Listen up! 2 hours ago
- RT @MRPETERPARKER: Check my boy @albiedee !! #Salute RT @WPGC: Brand new music from Daft Punk coming up in the 9 o'clock hour with the #New… 2 hours ago
- Brand new music from Daft Punk coming up in the 9 o'clock hour with the #NewIshat9. 2 hours ago
- DJ BOOK IS IN THE BUILDING!!!!! Time to finish this Monday strong with the #Mixtapeat8 with @DjBook Let's go DMV! 3 hours ago
- Coming up during the 8 o'clock hour. A chance to win Lil Wayne, T.I. and 2 Chainz tickets!!!!! Listen up DMV! 3 hours ago